Nokia, once a dominant force in the mobile communication world is trying to make a comeback. HMD Global (an independent Finnish Company) is bringing Nokia brand back to the market all over the world. Its latest launch Nokia 8, is supposedly its flagship product and boasts some impressive specs and features to take on the competition. The company has already launched Nokia 3310, Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 series in India to mix reviews. According to Nokia, it is going to manufacture all of its lineups in India in association with manufacturing giant Foxconn.
Nokia 8 is no doubt a beautifully designed phone and looks impressive in hand. It has a full aluminium unibody with 5.3″ 2.5D curved Gorilla glass 5. The screen resolution is 2560 x 1440 (2K polarized) with a pixel density of nearly 554 ppi. The home button also acts as a fingerprint reader to unlock the phone and apps.The phone will be available in Polished Blue, Tempered Blue, Steel and Polished Copper finish.
The most important feature Nokia is claiming is its dual-sight mode, where you can use both rear and front camera simultaneously. Nokia is branding it as #bothie to take on the #selfie craze. This feature can be used with Facebook Live and YouTube Live as well. Nokia 8 will ship with Stock Android 7.1.1 which is indeed a great news for Android fans. It will get latest Android Oreo update later this year.
Primary camera 13 MP (Colour + OIS) + 13 MP (Mono), 1.12um, f/2.0, 76.9˚, PDAF, IR range finder, dual tone flash
Front-facing camera 13 MP PDAF, 1.12um, f/2.0, 78.4˚, display flash
The camera is 13 megapixels on both front and rear with ZEISS lens. ZEISS optics is known for its amazing camera output and we expect the same from Nokia 8. It can record 4K video with OZO spatial 360-degree audio.
Under the hood, it is powered by Snapdragon 835 Octa-core processor, supported by 64GB onboard storage (expandable up to 256GB) and 4GB of RAM. It has 3090 mAh2 non-removable battery and 3.5 mm audio output.
Nokia 8 will cost Rs. 36,999 and will be competing with the likes of OnePlus 5, LG G6 and Honor 8 Pro along with previous gen iPhones and Samsung devices. It won’t be an easy ride for Nokia in India where the market is already saturated with some good quality mid range phones with trusted user base. The phone will be available on Amazon India in October.
- Size 151.5mm x 73.7mm x 7.9mm
- Colors Polished Blue, Tempered Blue, Steel, Polished Copper
Network and connectivity
- Network speed LTE Cat. 9, 3CA, 450Mbps DL/50Mbps UL
- 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (MIMO), BT 5.0, GPS/AGPS+GLONASS+BDS, NFC (sharing) ANT+
- Operating system Android™ 7.1.1 Nougat
- RAM 4 GB LPPDDR4X
- CPU Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 835 Mobile Platform, Octa core, (4*2.5GHz Qualcomm® Kryo™ CPU + 4*1.8GHz Kryo)
- Size and type 5.3” IPS QHD
- Resolution 2560 x 1440
- Material Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5, 2.5D Glass
- Internal memory 64 GB1 UFS2.1
- MicroSD card slot Up to 256 GB
Camera and flash
- Primary camera 13 MP (Colour + OIS) + 13 MP (Mono), 1.12um, f/2.0, 76.9˚, PDAF, IR range finder, dual tone flash
- Front-facing camera 13 MP PDAF, 1.12um, f/2.0, 78.4˚, display flash
Connectivity and sensors
- Connectivity Type C, USB3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps)
- Sensors Ambient light sensor, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, E-compass, Gyroscope, Fingerprint Sensor, Hall sensor, Barometer
- SIM slot 1 nano-SIM slot + 1 nano-SIM or 1 MicroSD card slot
Battery and charging
- Battery type 3090mAh2, non-removable
- Connector 3.5mm AHJ headphone jack